When you spend plenty of time outdoors during the cold winters, playing sports or hiking, you will quickly realize how cold hands can ruin the experience.
This is where the best warmest mittens come into play. There is nothing like warm mittens to keep your hands warm, even in extreme cold weather conditions.
Types of Mittens
As you will see, there are various types of winter mittens available.
Classic mittens are warm and provide good protection on cold days. They keep your hands warm and generally are waterproof and windproof for added protection.
Most cold-weather mittens will be lightweight and durable with a protective shell. They will have some form of insulation such as Thinsulate, Down feathers or Prima-Loft, or a fleece lining. The shell will generally be wind and waterproof with solid stitching and an adjustable wrist strap with a hook and loop or pull-on closure.
Fro icy weather conditions, you get three types of Mittens;
- Shell Mittens – The Shell Mitten has a windproof and waterproof outer shell to protect your hands. It is generally very durable, lightweight, flexible, and quick-drying. The shell mitten will consist of synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, polyurethane, and spandex for stretch. They are ideal for outdoor activities and hiking where you need that additional protection. Shell Mittens will likewise have interior padding or a warm lining such as fleece.
- Heated Mittens – These are not quite so popular, yet they are worth mentioning. Heated mittens come with a heating element inside the mitten that is rechargeable or battery-operated. They warm your hands with a heating element.
- Leather Lined Mittens – Genuine Leather mittens also provide good wind and water resistance. Leather mittens are generally more suited for working and outdoor work. They usually come with a warm fleece or padded interior lining but are still flexible enough to perform work tasks and provide a good grip.
Mittens Vs Gloves for Warmth
Then again, we get to the Mittens VS Gloves argument;
If you want something that performs well and is ideal for small tasks, sports, or activities where you need proper grip and use of your fingers, then gloves are ideal. However, most cold weather gloves will not be extremely dexterous and flexible in turn because they also need to keep your hands warm and insulated. Gloves need to fit properly to the T, and they need to be an exact size; otherwise, they can squeeze or bunch and even slip off. Gloves are also not at all, even nearly as warm as mittens.
Then with Mittens, they have been so advanced that they are designed with a top that can lift to expose your fingers should you need to perform finer tasks or use a touch screen. Mittens are ideal for freezing weather and snow, outdoor work, sports, and hiking when you do not require much grip or dexterity. Mittens need to fit as they will slip off if they lose properly, yet their size does not need to be that exact. Mittens are much warmer than gloves because your fingers are held together, generating heat, and this generally also provides much better insulation against the cold.
Features of a Good Warm Mitten
- Materials – Warm winter mittens can consist of genuine wool which is temperature regulating, of leather, or of synthetic materials. They usually have a wind and waterproof outer shell, with padding and fleece as a lining.
- Touch screen Compatible – Most warm winter mittens are not very touch screen friendly. However, some models have a top that can open up to expose a few fingers so that you can operate a touch screen device.
- Breathability – Although you want your mittens to keep you warm, most waterproof and windproof mittens are still quite breathable and allow air to circulate throughout the gloves without allowing water to enter them, this will help to keep your hands from sweating and overheating inside the mittens.
- Water and Wind resistance – Most cold weather mittens are water and wind-resistant to keep your hand dry and warm. They have a membrane that prevents wind and water from entering the mittens without sacrificing breathability.
- Insulation – Warm gloves generally have some form of insulation, such as a thermal or fleece lining or padding that keeps your hands warm on the inside of the gloves.
- Grip – The Palm of the mittens will generally be a more durable and grippy type material such as leather or may have a textured design for improved grip.
Reviews: The Best Warmest Mittens
In the review section are our top picks of some of the warmest available mittens;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- These are extreme cold weather mittens from Black Diamond.
- They have a nylon and spandex shell, goatskin palms, and a polyester lining.
- There is a waterproof dry insert liner that is also removable.
- The Mittens are lightweight, abrasion-resistant, and have a four-way stretch design.
- The removable liner is insulated with 340 grams of Prim Aloft gold and high-fleece.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- The Thermo Split Mitts and gloves have a waterproof Gore-Tex lining.
- They are polyester and fully machine washable.
- The Mitten has a three-finger construction for extra warmth and a grip silicone imprinted palm.
- The Index finger is insulated, and there is Gore-Tex Infinium and wind stopper technology for windproofing and waterproofing.
- The thumb and index finger are touch screen compatible.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- These are unisex fast-wing winter mittens from Salomon.
- They are a pull-on design and machine washable.
- The design is windproof and waterproof with a warm lining.
- They are available in more sizes and offer a comfortable fit.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
- These Mitts from Black Diamond are designed to be functional and allow you to perform all kinds of tasks.
- They are durable and comfortable with a leather shell and fleece lining.
- Designed as proper work mitts with a knitted cuff for warmth and protection.
- The design is simple and very durable.
- Here we have mitts designed specifically for men.
- They are nylon and elastane for stretch.
- The mitts have a hook and loop closure and adjustable wrist fit.
- They are water repellent and abrasion-resistant, with a textured palm and finger for better grip.
- They are fully waterproof and windproof on the outside,
- Inside is a warm moisture-wicking lining, and the fingers are touch screen compatible.
- Here we have the ladies’ version of the Gordini mitten.
- These mittens have similar waterproof and windproof features in the outer shell.
- The interior lining keeps you warm and is moisture repellent.
- There is a nose wipe and textured palm and fingers for grip.
- The finger areas are likewise e touch screen compatible.
Index Table: Top Rated Warmest Mittens
|1||Black Diamond Unisex Mercury - Warmest Mittens||Black Diamond||97|
|2||Gore Wear Unisex Thermo - Warmest Mittens||Gore Wear||96|
|3||Salomon Unisex Fast Wing - Winter Warmest Mittens||Salomon||94.75|
|4||Black Diamond Unisex Dirt Bag - Warmest Mittens||Black Diamond||97.7|
|5||Gordini Men's Challenge - Warmest Mittens||Gordini||95.6|
|6||Gordini Unisex Challenge - Warmest Mittens||Gordini||95.5|
Table of Contents
- Types of Mittens
- Mittens Vs Gloves for Warmth
- Features of a Good Warm Mitten
- Reviews: The Best Warmest Mittens
- Index Table: Top Rated Warmest Mittens